Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Choosing a child care and early education centre
Finding the perfect child care centre is no easy feat. There’s a lot to consider, including location, price, waiting lists and the general ‘vibe’ of the centre. So how can you be confident you’ve made the right decision?
Here are some of our top tips:
- Ask about exactly what’s on offer at the centre. How will they support you when life gets busy? This could include the nutritious meals on offer, flexible or longer hours, or engaging specialised programs.
- Take a close look at the programs and learning opportunities. Children learn through play in the early years, and the educators at your centre will be able to explain how play develops a strong foundation for the ongoing learning journey.
- Look for a friendly team. By booking a tour and spending time with the team members at the centre, you can find out exactly who your child will be interacting with, and how they’ll be inspired throughout the day.
- Check the centre’s rating. The National Quality Standards (NQS) sets a national benchmark for education and child care services in Australia. If interested, why not go ahead and ask the centre manager what their NQS rating is, and what that rating means.
- Ask plenty of questions. The right centre will be able to answer all your questions and put your mind at ease, especially during the centre tour!
- Above all, trust your gut to tell you when a centre is right!
Early Learning Services offers the following:
Early Learning Services accepts child care applications for future enrolments, and we offer enrolment placements as they become available. Our Family Support team will add your child’s name on our waitlist if a centre is currently full in your child’s age group. We will then contact you as soon as places become available.
We also do monthly check-ins to review the availability, and you will receive a text message confirming if you’re still happy to remain on the waitlist each month. When spots do become vacant, we will give you a call to tell you the good news!
If you would like to get an update at any point, you’re welcome to reach out on our Web Chat or give us a call. Our Family Support team can also help you find more centres near you, with the same offerings at the centre you are interested in that have immediate availability.
Attending a child care and early education centre
All child care and early education centres abide by educator to child ratios as determined by the National Quality Framework (NQF). The below table outlines the minimum ratios followed by our centres.
|Age of children||Educator to child ratio||Applies|
|Birth to 24 months||1:4||All states and territories|
|Over 24 months and less than 36 months||1:5||All states and territories excluding VIC|
|Over 36 months up to and including preschool age||1:11||ACT, NT, QLD, VIC|
|1:10 for centre-based services other than a preschool
1:10 for disadvantaged preschools
1:11 for preschools other than a disadvantaged preschool
2:25 for children attending a preschool program
|Over preschool age||1:15||NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, NSW|
(or 1:10 if kindergarten children are in attendance)
Otherwise, for babies, be sure to include: nappy rash cream, dummies, bottles and teats, comfort toy or blanket, sun hat, three spare outfits, spare socks, a jumper and a plastic bag for wet clothes.
For toddlers and preschool or kindergarten aged children, start with: Spare underwear, water bottle or sippy cup, sun hat, closed-toe shoes, two spare outfits, spare socks, a jumper and a plastic bag for wet clothes.
Plus anything else your individual child may need, such as breast milk, a sleeping bag, dummies, medication.
When you arrive at the early education and child care centre, sign your child in and be sure to greet their educators warmly. If your child sees that you have a good relationship with them, they’ll be more likely to trust them too.
You’re always welcome to call anytime during the day to check on your child’s wellbeing and progress! You’ll also receive daily updates and photos detailing your child’s learning and development on our all in one family app.
Settling in to child care only takes a few days for some children, while for others it might take longer. Rest assured that our team will work closely with your family to ensure the process is as smooth and enjoyable as possible. You can read more on how to prepare for your child’s first day here.
The child care and early education centre will:
- Administer first aid that is appropriate for the injury sustained by the child, as guided by the Educators Senior First Aid Training and Administering First Aid Centre Policy.
- Notify you as soon as possible.
- Ensure that further medical attention is recommended to the families in instances where the child’s injury is such that medical attention is required but does not require emergency medical treatment (e.g. Ambulance).
- Please call the early education and child care centre on the direct phone line and notify them as soon as possible, including the estimated arrival time, so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
- Alternative food will be offered to your child when possible. Families can supply food if there are specific requirements.
Public holidays are charged at the normal daily fee. Families will be eligible for the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) for public holidays if they have not exceeded allowable yearly absences.
We offer 9-hour, 10-hour and 12-hour Flexible Hours sessions. Find out more about optimising your child care subsidy hours here.
Absences should only be claimed when care would have been provided if the child was not absent, and the family has been charged a fee for the session of care. CCS is only payable for absences submitted before a child has started at a service, or after a child’s final day of actual attendance at a service, under limited circumstances.
Please click here for more information about absences.
We are proud of our reviews
Rose Garden Epping Early Learning Centre
Earth Kids Early Learning Centre
Fraser Avenue Early Learning Centre
Conder Early Learning Centre
"My children have been going to Little Angels since a very young age and they love it! All the educators and staff are fantastic and truly love their job."
Little Angels Early Learning Centre
Welly Road Early Learning Centre
Zebra Early Learning Centre
Mount Sheridan Early Education Centre